I love the change of the year and have been doing many of my favorite New Years things like starting new journals. A fresh year is waiting, like a blank page to be written on, and the old year is gone, with all its good times and, yes, failures. It’s time to start fresh.
Danny Gokey says it beautifully in his song Tell Your Heart to Beat Again: “Yesterday’s a closing door — you don’t live there anymore.” Give the song a listen! (I heard it on the radio this week, fell in love, and have listened to it ten billion times since and am listening to it on repeat as I write this post). It’s beautiful and feels just right for the New Year.
Here are some of my excitements for the new year of 2016, as well as a brief look back at my 2015. And — yes! — lists!
My word for 2016
Joy is my word this year. I want to find joy in everything if I can. It’s going to be hard, since I struggle with a tendency to be stressed and down on myself. But I’m tired of feeling crushed beneath expectations, beneath things I feel are obligations which ought to be enjoyable but have become chores. This includes — yes — writing, reading, emailing… even the things that I usually love, sometimes can become a burden because I’m a chronic procrastinator and a perfectionist. I’m hoping to approach everything, the fun and the not, with Joy. To rediscover my Joy in writing and life and find a freedom I’ve been looking for . . . that is my wish for the new year.
I’M EXCITED FOR THIS YEAR:
These books coming out:
Yorien’s Hand // The Goblin’s Puzzle // A Spy’s Devotion // Fridays with the Wizards // Rebel of the Sands // Songkeeper // The Story of Kullervo // King’s Folly // The Beautiful Pretender // Five Magic Spindles // Defying Shadows // Stolen Crowns #1 // The Bone Queen // Crooked Kingdom
(I did a post about this if you want pics/links to Goodreads, but I’ve since added Songkeeper by Gillian Bronte Adams — sequel to Orphan’s Song — and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo, both of which are sequels that I need this instant. *flail*)
These movies releasing:
- The Abominable Bride (Sherlock special which I’m hopefully going to see on Wednesday… YAY!)
- Captain America: The Civil War (YESSSS!! As I may have mentioned, I’m kind of looking forward to this a lot, primarily because BUCKY and HAWKEYE!)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Because Star Wars…)
(Also, perhaps someday I’ll see Kung Fu Panda 3, Alice Through the Looking Glass, and Batman Vs. Superman, which are releasing this year, but I’m not in a super hurry as they also sound weird…)
I’d also like to see:
- Pan (missed that when it came out last year)
- The Guardians of the Galaxy (somehow still haven’t seen this)
- Thor 2: The Dark World (which I technically saw once but need to rewatch since I have no memory of it which is slightly terrifying since I think I liked it a lot?!)
My 2015 at a Glance
I read many lovely books, notably many retellings and much Diana Wynne Jones; and discovered steampunk and heist books. (Yay!) And I just posted my top 15 favorites of the year.
Goodreads has a lovely new “Year in Books Feature” which I love! (Mine is here.)
Shows I saw:
- Leverage (seasons 1-5) — everyone knows how much I love this… *cough*
- Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (BBC Miniseries) — interesting to see on screen
- Star Wars: Rebels (Season 1) — I ADORED THIS! Sooo much fun. ❤
I don’t go to the theater often, but this year I saw:
- Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens — AS;LDKJFLSK FEELS. WHAT. Still haven’t decided what I think of it except that I know I had a blast and then felt extremely sad near the end… I think overall I loved it? But I’m not sure yet! *flail* One thing’s for sure: ALL OF THE FEELS. And I adore the new characters, particularly Poe, and want to see the movie again.
- Cinderella — Gorgeous.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron — Hawkeye!!
- Mockingjay Part 2 — Um.
- Beyond the Mask — EPIC!!! ❤
I really discovered my love of blogging this last year, and started my Ishness posts, and just had a fun time.
My top viewed posts were:
From which I discern that people are unprepared for NaNo (always), and love movies (or characters), bookshelves, Christmas, and cupcakes (or possibly denial). Basically you, my blog readers, have your priorities in order. *thumbs up*
WordPress has a handy blog report showcase for the year which is fun. Take a look at my blog stats if you enjoy numbers like I do. XD
It says my top commenters were Sarah, Tracey, Christine, C.B., and Abi — thank you guys! And to every single person who reads this blog and who has commented (even just once) a heartfelt thank you. ❤ You make my day every time. ^_^
Over 100,000 Words
I wrote an entire novella and two whole short stories (and a couple fanfictions) — namely:
And worked on several other books:
- 2. The Secret of Kedran’s Wood (mostly this one)
- The Silver Forest (and this one)
- 0.5. Child of Kedran’s Wood
- 2.5 Mixup at Kedran’s Wood
- 3 The Shadow of Kedran’s Wood
- 4 The Writer of Kedran’s Wood
- The Other Half of Everything (snippets)
I was attacked by several new plotbunnies that I adore and can’t wait to write, most notably:
- The Other Half of Everything
- The Siren and the Skyship
My Kedran’s Wood series exploded into several different books/novellas/short stories.
My epic fantasy series the Starrellian Saga is taking shape in a new and exciting way as I reimagine all of the threads into a different sort of book structure.
A few other exciting things:
From the start of the year when I was followed by a pony from the post office, through seeing my first stage play, spontaneously going on a few roadtrips, being a NaNo Municipal Liaison for the third time, all the way to spending my last days of the year frantically editing a novella under a deadline for the first time . . . it’s been a very interesting year!
With my new word (Joy) in hand, I look forward to what 2016 holds!
I haven’t made specific writing/reading goals yet. I’m on a semi-hiatus from writing for a bit, so we’ll see what happens after that… I’m currently leaving my options open. 🙂
How was your 2015? I wish you all a truly fantastic 2016!