Even though it’s February, I thought it would be fun to do a sort of mini Ishness, recapping the most exciting things of 2019, since I haven’t been very consistent about doing Ishnesses. XD
But I don’t want it to be super long, so this will be mostly in list form! (And will also include some long-overdue thoughts and pictures from Realm Makers 2019 at the end!)
Because everyone loves lists, and pictures, and highlights, right? Right. Let’s get to it!
Some of the things I wrote, watched, listened to, and did during 2019…
In 2019, I:
- Wrote 102,585 words
- Finished writing KW2 (The Secret of Kedran’s Wood)
- Wrote an entire novella: KW2.5 (Double Lives at Kedran’s Wood)
- Got halfway into Operation Foxtail (codename for . . . something else. >.>)
- Completed Camp NaNo in April
- Won my 10th November NaNo — a decade of NaNoWriMos!
- Went to Realm Makers 2019!
- Hit one million words since I started tracking my words
- Completed my tenth yearly writing journal
I also wrote three short stories, all of which can be read online:
- A Night in the Life of Glassman (only one of my favorite things I’ve ever written)
- Girls, Spies, and Other Things the Faeries Stole (Part 1)
- Silver Tongue (Fanfiction: Silmaril Awards Ceremony)
I read 140 things in 2019, according to Goodreads, which you can check out here. My own spreadsheet says 175 things, but anyway. XD I hesitate to say “books” instead of “things” since many of these were short — short stories, novellas, picture books, etc. About 20,000 pages read, which seems to be usual for me.
I just shared my Top 15 (ish) Favorite Reads of 2019 post on my book blog yesterday, so check that out!
I saw my second-ever play! It was a college production of Peter and the Starcatcher and it was a lot of fun. 🙂
I went to half a dozen movies in theaters, which is . . . rather a lot. o.o I had mixed feelings, depending on the movie, because I never totally love or totally hate everything about any single movie, but the experience is always so much fun, and I always find things to enjoy about a movie (or a book!). 🙂
- How to Train Your Dragon 3
- Captain Marvel
- Frozen 2
- The Rise of Skywalker
I saw a bunch of other movies too, and some of my favorites were:
- The Secret World of Arietty
- The Incredibles & The Incredibles 2
- Christopher Robin
I’ve also been enjoying old seasons of NCIS, and early in the year I binge-watched the first 4 seasons of Merlin, which was a lot of fun! (And select bits of season 5, avoiding sadness. XD)
This year I discovered (or re-discovered and became a super fan):
Favorite Songs From Them:
- Far Side of the World – Tide Lines
- Pieces – Red
- Not Alone – Red
- Hymn for the Missing – Red (theme for The Skythief and the Secret Tower)
- If I Break – Red (theme for Ivan from The Other Half of Everything)
- Praise You In This Storm – Casting Crowns
- Who Am I – Casting Crowns
- City On The Hill – Casting Crowns
Other Favorite Songs:
- Take My Hand – Skerryvore (theme for Teague and Meridian from OHE)
- Burn the Ships – For King and Country
- The Electrical Menagerie (re-read)
- All were excellent!
- 77 posts across this blog and my book blog
- Over 80,000 words written in those posts
- Guest posted at Phoenix Fiction Writers
- Had a short story on Tales from a Modern Bard
- Was kidnapped (interviewed) by Ness Kingsley
- Helped host the 4th annual Silmaril Awards
2019 was my first full year of Bookstagram, and I absolutely loved it!
- 262 posts
- Hit 500 followers
- Successfully posted every day for five straight months (aside from skipping one week for Realm Makers) which I was kind of proud of. XD
So, I don’t talk about it super often, but I do freelance copyediting/proofreading. It’s kept me busy, and I’ve been loving it. 🙂
This last year, I edited (or beta-read, in a few cases) five and a half novels, seven novellas, twenty-some short stories, and two works of non-fiction, for a total of about 700K words. (Not counting reading some of them three or more times.) Y’all, I know some super talented authors. 😉
- Went to Realm Makers 2019! (More about that in a minute.)
- Went to a couple of book events and got to meet various authors including Terry Brooks (at Realm Makers) and Douglas Gresham
- Saw Casting Crowns in concert!
- Was ML (municipal liaison) for my local NaNoWriMo region for the 7th time
- Various meetups with authors, writers, and friends (ALWAYS a highlight! I may be an introvert but hanging out with friends who I know well is the best!), and going to a few writing events/write-ins/workshops
Usually my creativity comes out in writing and not much else, but this last year I enjoyed branching out a little with other artsy things. I think I should do this more often.
- Two pairs of fingerless gloves (one pair for my costume and one for a friend)
- Some art quotes for Christmas presents
- A gingerbread house
REALM MAKERS 2019
Okay, I know I never did an actual recap post for my 2019 conference experience, for which I apologize. I was worn out afterward, and just never did get around to sorting through all my photos and trying to craft a post about it. I was kind of discouraged about some of the business/industry/publishing side of things, which also made it hard to write about.
Otherwise it was absolutely hands-down my most highlight-ish highlight (shh, I promise I’m a writer) of 2019! Getting to see SO MANY of my dear writer friends, some of whom I’ve only known on the internet (even from as far away as Canada!), and meeting and hanging out with amazing authors (including Jill Williamson and Terry Brooks) and being surrounded by books . . . It was a dream and was even better than the first time in many ways!
While the industry side of it may have been discouraging, I was SO encouraged, on a personal level, by the writers, authors, and friends who I had the privilege and joy to talk with. I’d even go so far as to say that the success of my NaNo was due in part to encouraging conversations I had there. And just the life and atmosphere and joy of being surrounded by authors and books and friends, all of which “got me” is unparalleled. Plus, it was just fun. 😉
I’m not going to do an entire recap here, but I will share a few pictures, which are long overdue, and seem fitting in this highlights post, since Realm Makers was the brightest star in the sky of my year!
(I’m not heading back this year, sadly, but two years of getting to go has been an absolute dream!)
*awards cupcakes to anyone who made it this far* Thanks so much for reading!