Oh, hey, look who’s getting an Ishness post up only a week late instead of waiting for several months! *gasp*
I kind of consider June and July one really long Junely “J” month, but anyway, June was pretty cool and I’m here to recap it!
WRITING: Plots + Wordwars!
I’ve been brainstorming The Skythief and the Secret Tower and KW2.5/Mixup at Kedran’s Wood (which I introduced last week HERE) and making a little progress on those, which is exciting!
I managed to write just short of 6K words of KW2.5 in June, largely thanks to wordwarring with my awesome wordwar buddy, Claire Banschbach (who has a book coming out this month, Oath of the Outcast, one of my favorite recent reads, and it’s Celtic-esque and features outlaws and brothers and my favorite smol floof of anger management issues and is basically AWESOME, so go check it out!)!
Er . . . that was a slight sidetrack. But a necessary one. 😉 Because you need Rhys the Mountain Baron in your life.
I’m nearly 10K into my Kedran’s Wood novella and having a blast writing it! 😀
Otherwise, I’ve been keeping up with blogging (aside from last week because Independence Day *cough*) and trying to prep for Realm Makers, both of which I can count as writing-related, right? 😉
READING: Delicious Fantasy!
It was another good reading month! I don’t know why but seeing these books together makes me happy. 😀
I’ll post brief thoughts about all of them in a Book Ishness post on my other blog later this week, but highlights:
- The Wolf Prince – Claire M. Banschbach — Brothers + faeries + Rangers + snark + wolves = SO MUCH LOVE FOR THIS EPIC STORY!
- Curse and Consequence – Savannah Jezowski — Regency Fantasy + hilarity + adorable dragons + faery curses + piglets + true love = YOU NEED IT IN YOUR LIFE. (One of my faves so far this year; I read it twice!) Review coming to the book blog tomorrow!
- Deadwood – Kyle Robert Shultz — Fantasy Western + Todd Crane + Julio the dragon + creepy Pinocchio twist + I edited it = yay, more Afterverse! (It just released and you need this in your life too, and, no, I’m not biased. ;))
- Conrad’s Fate – Diana Wynne Jones — Chrestomanci re-reads are always awesome! ❤ Where my Chrestomanci fans at?
WATCHING: Holmes + NCIS + Bolt!
- I haven’t seen many new things lately, though I re-watched a few old favorites like Prince of Persia and Batman Begins. 😀
- I did see a couple of new-to-me Sherlock Holmes episodes (starring Jeremy Brett and Basil Rathbone, respectively) which was fun. I’m always up for some Holmes of any type!
- I watched Bolt, which was SO ADORABLE! ❤ The dog and the cat and the hamster. XD I loved it! ^_^
- Also still occasionally working my way through the early seasons of NCIS — just started season 5 and things have been Going Down. O_O (I watch it for the characters and they’re just so much fun. :D)
I finally got back to listening to Cress and I’m about 3/4 done now and I’m having SUCH a blast! It’s been keeping me to a semi-regular exercise routine (unless I’m too busy or sick or something). It’s so motivational since I get to find out what happens next while I’m exercising, and I’ve also been bribing myself with a daily chapter of a Chrestomanci book if I get it done. XD
Anyway, Cress and her friends are doooomed but I’m having a blast and I love all of them so much! Especially Thorne because he’s hilarious, and Jacin because he’s verrry intriguing, and Cinder because Cinder, and Wolf because sad puppy, and… well… you get the picture. I LOVE THEM ALLLL. The humor and snark is my favorite, and the retelling aspect is fun too. 😀
BLOGGING: Success! + Blogging Hacks
Since my plan was to actually blog consistently again this month, and I actually DID, I wanted to share this little success with you guys. 😀 And share my blogging calendar hack.
I write blog post ideas on sticky notes (color coded for the different blogs: yellow for this one, pink for my book blog, blue for guest posts etc.) and that way if I need to move them around, I can do that without having to scribble stuff out. And since it’s a physical calendar that I keep around, I’m more likely to look at it than at a digital calendar. I can also see at a glance how often I’m posting on my different blogs.
Anyway, it works for me and I LOVE it, and it usually looks like this (minus being crossed out) at the beginning of a month but is usually too ambitious to manage. XD But I did in June!
- Flight of the Raven (Morgan Busse) — Epic Fantasy
- Mardan’s Mark series (Kathrese McKee) — Fantasy / Kingdom Adventure
- 6 Sci-fi short stories (E. B. Dawson) — Science Fiction
- Battle for the Throne (E. J. Willis) — Fantasy
- Heart of the Curiosity (H. L. Burke) — Steampunk
- Book Ishness + 200 Posts! (June 2019)
- Spring Ishness 2019 (The End, Merlin, & Camp NaNo!)
- Ren: The Girl With the Mark – Season 2?
- Writing Update! (New Steampunk + Tare Snippets)
- 8 Editing Posts for Authors (at Phoenix Fiction Writers)
INSTAGRAM: Daily Posts + Almost One Year!
I had a personal challenge to post on Instagram every day in June, and I succeeded! You can check out my bookish photos here if you like. It was loads of fun. *grins*
Later this week will mark the one-year anniversary of when I first started Instagramming! So that’s exciting. ^_^
LIFE: Editing + Rain + Colds
Nothing particularly striking to report in the life category — just, well, Life, you know. 😉
- scheming about costumes and in other ways prepping for Realm Makers
- enjoying the rain (which is somehow keeping the three-digit Texas summer weather at bay temporarily)
- seeing friends
- and wrestling off a random and very-unwelcome summer cold. 😛
JULY PLANS: Realm Makers! (+ No Camp NaNo)
I’m not doing Camp NaNo WHICH MAKES ME SAD. But I figure I can’t wrangle that on top of Realm Makers so I won’t try. XD
So that’s going to be the biggest thing for me this month: final preparations for Realm Makers, a roadtrip, and attending the Realm Makers speculative fiction writers conference in St. Louis! I’M VERY EXCITED.
This is my second year going, and since it will be farther afield next year I probably won’t go that time, so I was determined to make it this year again if possible, and I’m so thankful it’s working out!
If you’ll be there, leave a comment and let me know! I’m SO excited to see so many friends, meet new people and authors, find some new books, learn more about writing, and make connections. ❤
(And no, I’m not ready at all, so excuse me while I panic and disappear for a week to frantically get ready for this. XD)
If you’re going to Realm Makers: check out Christine Smith’s fabulous post about getting the most out of this conference!
If you’re NOT going to Realm Makers but wish you were: check out Christine’s amazing post about that.
(Am I redirecting you to her posts instead of saying them myself? Yes. Yes I am. She does an incredible job of saying all of those things far better than I could, and you need those posts in your life.)
I also won’t be blogging or online as much in the next week or two, so . . . just so you know!
St. Louis Book Festival at Realm Makers
Also, if you’re in the St. Louis area on July 20th, you should make sure to swing by the Book Festival that’s open to the public and taking place at the Realm Makers conference! You can check out all the details here but tons of authors will be there signing books, including Terry Brooks, C.J. Redwine, Morgan Busse, and Bryan Davis!
And there we are! How was your June? Read or watched anything good lately? Are you doing Camp NaNo? Let me know in the comments! Thanks for reading, and I hope you have a splendid July! ^_^